6 budget-friendly meals for students

Being a student often means living on a tight budget and juggling numerous responsibilities. Cooking nutritious meals that are both affordable and quick to make can sometimes feel like an impossible task. Fear not! Here are six delicious meal ideas perfect for students on a budget:

1. Spaghetti Aglio e Olio:

• This classic Italian dish requires just a handful of ingredients: spaghetti, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and parsley.
    • Boil the pasta, sauté minced garlic in olive oil until golden, then toss with the cooked spaghetti and season with red pepper flakes and parsley.
    • It’s simple, flavorful, and ready in under 20 minutes.
  2. Vegetable Stir-Fry:

• A versatile and healthy option, stir-fries allow you to use up whatever vegetables you have on hand.
    • Simply chop up your favorite veggies (■■■■ peppers, broccoli, carrots, etc.), sauté them in a pan with some soy sauce and garlic, and serve over rice or noodles.
    • Customize it with tofu, chicken, or shrimp for added protein.
  3. Quesadillas:

• Quesadillas are a quick and satisfying meal that can be customized to your taste.
    • All you need are tortillas, cheese, and any fillings you like such as beans, chicken, vegetables, or leftovers.
    • Simply assemble, cook in a skillet until crispy and golden, and enjoy with salsa and sour cream.
  4. Egg Fried Rice (My ultimate favourite!).

• Transform leftover rice into a tasty meal with this simple recipe.
    • Scramble eggs in a pan, then add cooked rice, soy sauce, frozen peas, and any other veggies you have on hand.
    • Cook until heated through, and you have a delicious and budget-friendly meal ready in minutes.
  5. Tomato and Mozzarella Panini:

• This simple yet delicious panini requires just a few ingredients: bread, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and pesto (optional).
    • Layer slices of fresh tomato and mozzarella cheese between two slices of bread.
    • If desired, spread pesto on the inside of the bread for added flavor.
    • Grill the sandwich in a panini press or skillet until the bread is golden and crispy, and the cheese is melted.
    • It’s a quick and tasty meal that’s perfect for lunch or a light dinner, and you can customize it with additional ingredients like spinach or roasted red peppers.
  6. One-Pot Pasta:

• This dish is not only delicious but also easy to clean up since it’s all cooked in one pot.
    • Combine pasta, vegetables (such as cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and spinach), vegetable broth, and seasonings in a pot and simmer until the pasta is cooked and the sauce is thickened.
    • Finish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.

These six meal ideas are perfect for students looking to save time and money without sacrificing taste or nutrition. With a little creativity and some basic ingredients, you can enjoy delicious homemade meals every day of the week. Happy cooking!

5 Likes

egg fried rice is my favourite too !! :joy:

1 Like

I loooove cooking and I find it so therapeutic, but ingredients are so expensive nowadays. Thanks for these budget friendly options!

1 Like

It is amazing! And you can make it unique by just changing up ingredients apart from eggs and rice. Such a game-changer🙏

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. So difficult to stay healthy and not spend hundreds of pounds nowadays :melting_face:

I love quesadillas!! Great flavour and easy to make!!

1 Like

Which is what makes them amazing for us, students :grin:

1 Like

these were most of my uni meals :rofl:

1 Like

Amen to that🤣

1 Like

This is really helpful, the Spaghetti dish sounds really good. I might give it a try but not the best cook :joy:

1 Like

That’s the thing, it’s very easy to prepare, so anyone could succeed​:joy::hugs: