8 movies you didn't know were book adaptations

Did you realise that many beloved movies are actually adaptations of books? By delving into the world of English or English literature studies, you open the door to the possibility of creating such masterpieces yourself!

1. Mean Girls based on: Queen Bees & Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman
    Tina Fey’s adaptation of Queen Bees & Wannabes breathed life into the high school drama genre, originating from a self-help book. Fey’s creative vision reshaped the narrative into a captivating story with unforgettable characters.

2. Forrest Gump based on: Forrest Gump by Winston Groom
    Forrest Gump began as an obscure novel before transforming into the beloved, award-winning film we know today.

3. Jurassic Park based on: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
    Michael Crichton’s Jurassic Park initially sprang from a screenplay centered on a student’s dinosaur experiment. Realizing the need for entertainment value, Crichton reimagined the tale, laying the groundwork for one of cinema’s most iconic adventures.

4. Howl’s Moving Castle based on: Howl’s Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones
    Dianna Wynne Jones’s enchanting novel inspired Studio Ghibli’s animated masterpiece, showcasing the potential of literary works to captivate audiences across mediums. Despite disparities, Jones praised the film’s interpretation of her tale.

5. Shrek (Yes, exactly!) based on: Shrek! by William Steig
    The origins of Shrek trace back to William Steig’s picture book that focus on a green and scary creature exploring the globe and finding himself a princess.

6. Legally Blonde based on: Legally Blonde by Amanda Brown
    Amanda Brown’s novel, inspired by her experiences at Stanford Law School, laid the groundwork for Legally Blonde’s empowering narrative.

7. The Shawshank Redemption based on: Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King
    Stephen King’s novella provided the framework for one of cinema’s most beloved tales of hope and redemption.

8. Psycho based on: Psycho by Robert Bloch
    This chilling novel set the stage for Alfred Hitchcock’s iconic thriller, weaving a tale of suspense and psychological intrigue. Psycho’s adaptation remains a hallmark of cinematic excellence.

Which of these surprised you the most?

6 Likes

The Mean Girls one surprised me the most for sure!

Did you know, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is adapted from the novel “The Magical Car” by Ian Fleming.

1 Like

omg even though i am a die hard mean girls fan i didnt know it was a book

2 Likes

all of these surprised me but the shawshank redeption was the nost shocking! its one of my all time favourite films

2 Likes

Omg! I had no idea Mean Girls was based on a book!!!

3 Likes

I didn’t! Omg, things you find out :sweat_smile:

1 Like