Cervical cancer: Smear tests of 3,000 women to be reviewed

The Southern Health Trust is set to re-check the previous slides of over 3,000 women affected by a cervical smear review, despite previous assurances that this step would not be taken. This decision aims to provide extra assurance to the affected group and address the anxiety caused by the review. Letters have been sent to the homes of these women, informing them of this development. Dr. Stephen Austin, the Trust’s medical director, stated that the additional work is expected to extend the overall review process only by a matter of weeks and will be completed by the end of the summer. Progress on the review, initiated in response to concerns raised in 2023, indicates that about 61% of cases have been reviewed so far, with some requiring further testing due to minor abnormalities. Despite no cases of cancer being identified yet, the review remains ongoing. The Southern Trust and Public Health Agency emphasize the importance of women continuing to attend smear tests when invited, especially given the introduction of primary HPV cervical screening in Northern Ireland in December 2023.

3 Likes

I think it would be beneficial to do additional tests, right? Gosh, i wish i undestood something about medicine🥹

1 Like

really concerning to hear. It must be such a stressful time for them. Do you think this re-checking process will help alleviate some of the anxiety they’re feeling, or do you think it might cause even more uncertainty?

1 Like