✅ Essential Checklist for Your First Days in University

As you gear up for your first days of lectures, tutorials, and labs, it’s important to have the essentials ready. Here’s your ultimate guide to ensure you’re fully prepared:

1. Academic Essentials

• Notebook, Planner, and Stationery: Carry a notepad for jotting down important points and a planner to organise your schedule. Bring pens, pencils, highlighters, and any other stationery you prefer to stay organised and productive.

• Laptop or Tablet: Ensure your device is fully charged and ready to take notes, access course materials, and participate in online activities if needed. A reliable device is crucial for a smooth academic experience.

• Lecture Materials: Have your handouts, textbooks, or any materials provided by your professors ready. Consider downloading electronic copies for easy access on your device, ensuring you’re prepared for every class.

• Calculator and Practical Items: If you’re in a STEM degree or any course that requires calculations or specific practical items, make sure to bring a calculator and any requested tools.

2. Hydration and Energy

• Water Bottle: Stay hydrated throughout the day with a refillable water bottle. Having water on hand will keep you refreshed and focused during long lectures and study sessions.

• Snacks: Pack nutritious snacks like fruits, nuts, or energy bars to keep you fueled during breaks. These quick bites can help maintain your energy levels between meals.

• Packed Lunch: Bringing a packed lunch can save you time and money, ensuring you have a nutritious meal ready when you need it.

3. Connectivity and Power

• Chargers: Don’t forget chargers for your laptop, tablet, and smartphone to stay powered up throughout the day. Keeping your devices charged ensures you won’t miss any important updates or coursework.

• Student ID: Carry your student ID for access to campus facilities, library resources, and student discounts. Your student ID is an essential item for navigating university life.

• Smartphone: A smartphone is essential for accessing your schedule, class materials, and university apps. Use it to stay updated on class changes, connect with coursemates, and find your way around campus using maps.

4. Additional Tips

• Comfortable Clothing and Footwear: Dress comfortably for long days on campus, especially if you have practical sessions or labs. Comfortable attire helps you stay focused and at ease.

• Weather-Appropriate Clothes: Check the weather forecast and wear suitable clothing. Bring an umbrella if there’s a possibility of rain to stay dry and comfortable.

• Personal Health Items: Carry personal health items like tissues, hand sanitiser, and any necessary medications. Staying healthy and hygienic is crucial for your well-being.

• Medium-Sized Backpack: Choose a backpack that’s large enough to fit your laptop and other essentials. A well-sized backpack helps you stay organised and comfortable while carrying your belongings.

• Headphones or Earphones: Bring headphones or earphones for quiet, private study sessions. They’re useful for listening to lectures, music, or studying in a busy environment.

• Watch: Wearing a watch can help you keep track of time, ensuring you’re punctual for your lectures, labs, tutorials and other academic classes.

Conclusion

Share your own tips or questions below. Let’s help each other have a successful start to university with everything you need!

Reply below to share your essentials or ask questions about preparing for your first days on campus

Which items from the checklist do you consider most essential for your first days?

Any additional items you would recommend bringing?

7 Likes

This is a fantastic checklist! Academic essentials are most important to ensure you feel fully prepared. I would also recommend to bring a card holder/wallet with some emergency cash, your travel card, student ID, debit/credit card and your driving or provisional license.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, those are great suggestions! Having a card holder or wallet with emergency cash and essential cards is definitely important. It ensures you’re prepared for any situation, whether it’s grabbing a quick snack, paying for transport or showing ur ID.

4 Likes

This checklist is so thorough! For me, having a planner and a good set of stationery is definitely a must—I love staying organized. I’m also thinking about getting a portable charger since I’m always on the go and don’t want my phone or laptop to die. Do you have any recommendations for good portable chargers or brands that are reliable? And what are your go-to snacks for staying energised throughout the day?

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m glad you liked the checklist! A planner and good stationery can make a big difference in staying productive. For portable chargers, I recommend brands like Anker and Belkin. They offer reliable power banks with high capacity and fast charging capabilities, which are perfect for keeping your phone and laptop charged while you’re on the go. As for snacks, I love packing a mix of cashew nuts and dried fruit for a quick energy boost, as well as granola bars for something more filling. Fresh fruits like oranges or bananas are also great for a healthy pick-me-up during the day.

4 Likes

I think you’ve covered all the essential items! I’d also suggest grabbing an additional tote bag with you, as usually first days on campus are full of freebies. So you wouldn’t wanna miss out on them due to little space in the backpack :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, nicee tip! Bringing a tote bag is a smart idea, especially since the first days at uni are often packed with useful freebies and important handouts. It’s also helpful for quickly and easily carrying any physical resources you might receive during academic sessions, like syllabi, printed lecture notes or coursework materials, if your backpack gets full :smile:

3 Likes