How Acupuncture is Rewiring Medicine

In the TWiN 45 podcast episode, hosts Vincent Racke and Jason Shephard discuss the unexpected scientific discoveries surrounding acupuncture, a traditional Chinese practice involving the insertion of needles into specific body points. :sewing_needle: :foot:

Raised in Chinese culture, Jason shares his personal skepticism towards acupuncture until learning about a groundbreaking study published in the journal Nature, which documented the use of electroacupuncture to treat sepsis. The scientists in this study identified a nerve pathway through which the stimulation travels to the brain and back down to immune controlling organs, potentially providing a non-invasive alternative to vagal nerve stimulation for sepsis treatment. :brain:

The speakers then delve into a 2014 study, exploring the relationship between acupuncture and the immune system, revealing that electrical stimulation at specific points can suppress the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, indicating an immunosuppressant effect. The mechanisms behind this immunomodulating effect are still being researched, but dopamine is a suspected key player.

While further exploration is necessary, isn’t the potential of non-invasive acupuncture as a therapeutic approach for various health conditions exciting?

4 Likes

That’s fascinating! It’s amazing to see how science is unraveling the mysteries behind acupuncture’s effects. The idea of non-invasive treatment options like acupuncture becoming a part of modern medicine is pretty exciting!
I had an amazing experience trying acupuncture, it was truly incredible!

1 Like

absolutely fascinating! the TWiN 45 podcast sheds light on acupuncture’s surprising scientific revelations, from treating sepsis with electroacupuncture to unraveling its immunosuppressant effects. the potential for non-invasive acupuncture is reallyexciting!

1 Like

me too!! it got rid of my back pain!

1 Like