How Pregnancy Rewires Every Organ - Monkey Study Reveals Mind-Blowing Insights!

Pregnancy triggers profound changes in a woman’s body, and a groundbreaking study using pregnant monkeys sheds light on the vast chemical and hormonal adaptations in various organs. The research, published in Cell, unveils unexpected metabolic shifts in organs like the skin, providing crucial insights into pregnancy-related disorders such as preeclampsia. The study’s use of advanced techniques reveals 91 key metabolites influencing the body’s adaptation to pregnancy, with potential implications for diagnostics and interventions.

Key Concepts:

• Metabolic Profiling in Monkeys:
    • Researchers in China profile metabolic activity in 23 different organs of pregnant cynomolgus monkeys.
    • Metabolites linked to biochemical processes, providing a holistic view of pregnancy-induced changes.
  • Unexpected Metabolic Changes:
    • Organs traditionally associated with pregnancy, like the liver and heart, show expected metabolic shifts.
    • Surprising changes observed in unexpected tissues, including certain muscles and skin.
  • Technological Breakthrough:
    • Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry used to identify and quantify 91 metabolites influencing pregnancy adaptation.
    • Technique allows for understanding the metabolomic dynamics during different stages of pregnancy.
  • Implications for Pregnancy Disorders:
    • Study suggests potential links between metabolite levels and disorders like preeclampsia.
    • Corticosterone deficiency identified in preeclamptic pregnant women, paving the way for clinical diagnoses.
  • Future Research and Discoveries:
    • Researchers acknowledge their study as a starting point, providing hints about pregnancy-adaptive metabolites.
    • Encouragement for further research to uncover the intricacies of these metabolic changes.
      snow-monkey-baby-adventures-on-600nw-2182189969

How might these findings influence our understanding of pregnancy or contribute to advancements in women’s health? Share your thoughts!

https://www.science.org/content/article/pregnancy-dramatically-rewires-every-major-organ-monkey-study-reveals

5 Likes

that is a significant step forward for women’s health research.

2 Likes

yea, womens health is finally being studied more

2 Likes

I recently read that a child’s DNA embeds itself in the mother’s tissues and becomes a permanent part of her. It’s fascinating as to how the body changes to accommodate the lil human.

2 Likes

this is so so cool!! pregnancy is truly such a transformative process

2 Likes

This is honestly crazy. Every time I read about pregnancy I am just amazed at what the human body is capable of.

2 Likes

What a fascinating process it is though! And glad to see that there’s research being done to better understand it🙏

1 Like

omg will have to read! do you mind if i make a post on it? it sounds so fascinating

2 Likes

it really is!

1 Like

right?!? us women are not given enough praise for what we can do :rofl:

2 Likes

truly!

1 Like

sure go ahead :wink:

2 Likes