How to use your time more efficiently during exams

We all know that during exams, time is very limited, so you need to make sure to organise yourself wisely in order to get a good grade. Here are some useful tips that have helped me during my degree. Please feel free to add any from your own experience!!

1. Create a study schedule: Plan your study sessions in advance, allocating specific time slots for each subject or topic. Be realistic about how much time you need for each subject and stick to your schedule.

2. Prioritize tasks: Identify the most important and challenging topics or subjects and prioritize them in your study schedule. Focus on areas where you need the most improvement or where the exam will have the most weight.

3. Break tasks into smaller chunks: Break down your study material into smaller, manageable tasks or topics. This makes it easier to tackle and helps prevent overwhelm.

4. Use active studying techniques: Instead of passively reading your notes or textbooks, engage in active studying techniques such as summarizing information in your own words, teaching concepts to yourself or others, creating flashcards, or practicing with past exam papers.

5. Take regular breaks: Avoid studying for long stretches without breaks, as this can lead to burnout and decreased productivity. Take short breaks every hour or so to rest and recharge your brain.

6. Eliminate distractions: Find a quiet and comfortable study environment free from distractions such as social media, TV, or noisy surroundings. Consider using productivity tools or apps to block distracting websites or apps during study sessions.

7. Stay organized: Keep your study materials, notes, and resources organized so you can easily access them when needed. Use folders, binders, or digital tools to keep everything in order.

8. Stay healthy: Take care of your physical and mental well-being during exam season. Get enough sleep, eat healthily, exercise regularly, and practice stress-reduction techniques such as meditation or deep breathing.

9. Review regularly: Don’t wait until the last minute to review your notes or study material. Schedule regular review sessions to reinforce your understanding and retention of the material.

10. Practice time management during exams: During the exam, allocate your time wisely by budgeting time for each section or question. If you get stuck on a question, move on and come back to it later if you have time.

1 Like

I’ve found that creating a study schedule really keeps me on track, but sometimes sticking to it can be tough. Do you have any strategies for staying motivated and disciplined when following a study schedule?

1 Like

I kind of struggle with this as well, but I usually make sure to allocate more time than I think I need, as I usually take longer that I expect.

1 Like