Is an art career ‘pointless’?

Is an art career “pointless”? TODAY readers discussed this topic last week after a 19-year-old student photographer aced the subject in her A-Level examination and landed an offer to pursue fine arts in London.

St Andrew’s Junior College student Yvette Lim, who received an A in H2 Art, said she remembers being told by others that it was pointless choosing art as a career — something she disagrees with.

Many readers supported her position, saying that there was indeed value in art. Others wrote about their own passion for the arts, and cheered Miss Lim’s success. However, a handful offered a reality check, saying her choice was risky as artists often struggled to make a living. Here’s a selection of comments:

Read the full article - free :smiley: - here:

2 Likes

STEM fields have certainly taken the limelight overshadowing a lot of other industries, having people question their own paths and whether its worth switching. I believe you should always follow your passion. I used to always pick the harder path which would return the most value regardless of whether I was passionate about it, I quickly came to learn none of it is of any worth without a sense of fulfilment. If Art is your passion, I say go for it but do so with all your blood and sweat.

2 Likes

Art nurtures creativity, critical thinking, and empathy, essential skills for a well-rounded society. The notion that art is ‘pointless’ completely overlooks its transformative power in shaping cultures, fostering dialogue, and inspiring change. I think art is significant not just as a career choice but as a fundamental part of our collective identity and progress.

1 Like