Northern Ireland finally reaches power-sharing agreement

The leader of Northern Ireland’s DUP said it had reached a deal with the British government on the operation of post-Brexit trade rules that would allow it to return to the region’s power-sharing government.

Northern Ireland has been without a devolved government for almost two years after the
DUP walked out in protest over trade rules, which it claimed created barriers with the rest of the UK undermining Northern Ireland’s place within it.

A return to government by the region’s largest pro-UK party provides a pathway out of a political gridlock and will allow Northern Ireland to have a functioning government.

Whilst there was opposition from some supporters the DUP leader said that a decisive decision was made and the result of a vote was very clear.

Sinn Fein and the DUP will meet on Tuesday to reconcile and are hoping to form a new government. This will allow Sinn Fein to assume the role of Northern Ireland’s First Minister, the latest political milestone for the former political wing of the IRA who are seeking to leave the UK.

5 Likes

I recently watched a documentary about the troubles in NI and Ireland. I literally had no idea about the tension still ongoing today.

2 Likes

its crazy how long this conflict has gone on for, i learnt about it for a level history and the topic was throughout the entire two years of learning (we studied Britain 1951-2007)

1 Like