The MET Gala

If you’re into fashion, glamour, and celebrity culture, then you’ve probably heard of the MET Gala – one of the most anticipated events in the fashion calendar. Let’s dive into everything you need to know about this star-studded extravaganza:

What is the MET Gala?
The MET Gala, also known as the Met Ball, is an annual fundraising event for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City. It marks the grand opening of the Institute’s annual fashion exhibit and sets the tone for the fashion trends of the year.

Who attends the MET Gala?
The guest list reads like a who’s who of Hollywood, fashion, music, and art. Celebrities, designers, models, and influential figures from various industries grace the red carpet in their most extravagant outfits.

History of the MET Gala:
The history of the MET Gala dates back to 1948 when it was first established by publicist Eleanor Lambert. The event was initially created as a way to raise funds for the newly-founded Costume Institute. However, it wasn’t until Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour took over as chairwoman of the event in 1995 that it gained widespread recognition and popularity.

Under Wintour’s guidance, the MET Gala evolved into the glamorous affair we know today, with each year’s theme carefully curated to coincide with the Institute’s fashion exhibit. From “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination” to “Camp: Notes on Fashion,” the themes serve as inspiration for attendees to showcase their creativity and interpretation of the exhibition’s subject matter.

Prices for attending:
Attending the MET Gala is by invitation only, and tickets are not available for purchase. However, individual tickets reportedly cost around $30,000, while a table can set you back up to $275,000. The event raises millions of dollars each year for the Costume Institute.

Who gets invited?
Invitations are highly coveted and curated by Anna Wintour herself, along with input from the MET Gala committee. The guest list includes A-list celebrities, fashion designers, models, and influential personalities from various industries.

Iconic Outfits and Moments:
Over the years, the MET Gala has seen countless iconic outfits and moments that have made headlines around the world. Some notable examples:

1. Kim Kardashian’s Flower Dress:
In 2013, Kim Kardashian made headlines with her daring fashion choice at the MET Gala. Despite being pregnant at the time, Kim stunned in a floral Givenchy gown designed by Riccardo Tisci. The form-fitting dress accentuated her baby bump and became an iconic fashion moment, solidifying Kim’s status as a style icon.

2. Jason Derulo’s Falling Fiasco:
The 2015 MET Gala took an unexpected turn when singer Jason Derulo accidentally fell down the iconic MET staircase while posing for photographers. Despite the mishap, Jason managed to maintain his composure and even joked about the incident later, proving that even a fall can become a memorable moment at the MET Gala.

3. The Celebrity Selfie:
In 2017, the MET Gala witnessed a historic moment when a group of A-list celebrities, including Kylie Jenner, Kim Kardashian, Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid, and more, gathered for an epic bathroom selfie. The star-studded photo, which was captured by Kylie Jenner and shared on social media, quickly went viral, garnering millions of likes and becoming one of the most memorable moments in MET Gala history.

Whether it’s jaw-dropping fashion statements or unexpected celebrity encounters, the MET Gala never fails to deliver unforgettable moments that leave us talking for years to come.

:white_small_square: What are your favourite looks from this years MET Gala?

3 Likes

My favourites from this year are these :heart_eyes: :
Lana del Rey wearing an Alexander McQueen sheath gown by Seán McGirr from the autumn/winter 2006 collection, Tyla wearing a Balmain dress made of sand and Elle Fanning wearing a sculptural sheer Balmain dress.

2 Likes

these were literally my favourite looks too :rofl: i would also add zendaya to this mix. her first dress and the makeup looks were stunning, pat magrath did her makeup personally!!

2 Likes

Second this! There was also a dress with moving butterflies😍

1 Like

she always slays, beautiful look

yes! i loved this one! the butterflies on the sleeves moved!!

1 Like

omg yes!! she looked amazing i remember my entire twitter tl wondering who she was going crazy over this stunning dress

2 Likes

I know, right? Like how people can even think of creating something like this? Mind-blowing😧

2 Likes