Why hobbies and interests are a must have for any CV

When crafting a CV, students often focus solely on academic achievements and professional experiences, overlooking the value of showcasing their personal interests, hobbies, and involvement in extracurricular activities. However, including hobbies and societies on a CV can provide valuable insights into a candidate’s personality, skills, and character.

1. Demonstrates Well-Roundedness:
Employers are increasingly seeking candidates who demonstrate a well-rounded skill set and a diverse range of interests. Including hobbies and societies on a CV can help students showcase their multifaceted nature beyond the classroom or workplace. Whether it’s playing a musical instrument, participating in sports, volunteering for a charitable organization, or being part of a student club, these activities provide evidence of a candidate’s ability to balance academic and personal pursuits.

2. Highlights Transferable Skills:
Many hobbies and extracurricular activities require the development of transferable skills that are highly valued in the workplace. For example, involvement in team sports can demonstrate teamwork, leadership, and communication skills, while participation in debate clubs or public speaking societies can showcase critical thinking, persuasion, and presentation abilities. By highlighting these skills on their CVs, students can illustrate their readiness to excel in a professional environment.

3. Shows Passion and Commitment:
Employers are not only interested in a candidate’s qualifications and skills but also in their passion and commitment to their chosen field or industry. Including hobbies and society memberships related to a student’s career aspirations can signal genuine interest and enthusiasm for the role. Whether it’s joining a relevant professional association, attending industry conferences, or participating in networking events, these activities demonstrate proactive engagement and a willingness to invest in one’s professional development.

4. Sparks Conversation and Connection:
Personal interests and hobbies can serve as conversation starters during job interviews and networking opportunities. Sharing common interests with potential employers or colleagues can help students establish rapport and build meaningful connections. Additionally, discussing hobbies and society memberships allows candidates to showcase their personality, values, and interests in a more authentic and memorable way, setting them apart from other applicants.

5. Reflects Leadership and Initiative:
Taking on leadership roles within hobbies and societies demonstrates initiative, responsibility, and organizational skills. Whether it’s serving as president of a student club, organizing fundraising events for a charitable cause, or mentoring younger members, these experiences showcase a candidate’s ability to lead, motivate others, and make a positive impact within their community. Employers value candidates who demonstrate leadership potential and a proactive approach to personal and professional growth.

So, including hobbies on a CV can provide students with a competitive edge in the job market by showcasing their well-roundedness, transferable skills, passion, commitment, leadership, and initiative. By highlighting their personal interests and extracurricular activities, students can present a more holistic picture of themselves as individuals and potential employees. Ultimately, a well-crafted CV that incorporates both academic and personal achievements can help students stand out and make a memorable impression on prospective employers🤗

3 Likes

i personally dont have space for it but i do include and make reference in my cover letter

1 Like

I totally agree that including hobbies and extracurricular activities on a CV can make a huge difference in how employers perceive a candidate. It’s not just about grades and work experience; it’s about showing who you are as a person and what you’re passionate about

1 Like

100%! Almost every single time i had an interview, i was asked about my hobbies. A great ice-braker, not to mention being something that would help you to connect with the recruiter🙏

1 Like

As long as it’s mention somewhere, it will be very useful🙏 Plus, can relate. So many things to include on a CV hahah

2 Likes