Effects of exercise on depression, anxiety and distress

What are the effects of exercise on depression, anxiety and distress?

This summarises the key findings from a recently published paper that demonstrated exercise should become the mainstay of treatment, rather than just an alternative

5 Likes

Genuinely think that sports/gym is the best treatment for anxiety and depression!

1 Like

wow this study really sheds a light on the powerful impact of physical activity on mental health. It’s surprising that despite the overwhelming evidence, there’s still some hesitation in adopting physical activity as a mainstream intervention. Do you think there’s a specific reason why physical activity isn’t more widely embraced as a therapeutic intervention in mental health, despite its proven benefits?

Great question… I think there are likely several factors at play here. One reason could be the lingering stigma surrounding mental health issues, which may lead to reluctance in seeking or prescribing physical activity as a form of therapy?? Orrrr, I think there are still some practical barriers such as accessibility to suitable facilities or resources. I think as well, traditionally, we favour pharmacological interventions over lifestyle so it could be that the patient themselves wouldn’t believe someone if they were told to just exercise more. But there was another great post in the IF community that I saw on initiatives like surf therapy so maybe we’re starting to see a shift… slowly but surely!

1 Like

amazing I will use this article for my dissertation on how exercise help manage pain as there are similar links in regards to the hormones and neurotransmitter affected in this research

1 Like

agreed, im glad to see this shift!

1 Like