Is Sunak really banning vapes?

Whilst headlines, may lead you to believe that vapes are being banned in shops across the UK, when you read into the stories the reality is not as clear as is made out.

It is currently illegal for disposable vapes to be sold to children under 18 in the UK, however many are illegally acquiring vapes which has led to an uptick in the amount of children vaping

Campaigners have long argued that disposable vapes are wasteful and that the materials and chemicals used to make them, including their lithium batteries, make them difficult to dispose of safely.

What will the law actually mean ?

• Disposable vapes WILL be banned
  • Vaping alternatives like nicotine pouches - small white pouches (also known as ‘Snus’ that are placed between the lip and gum - will also be banned for children. The pouches release nicotine but do not contain tobacco, so can currently be legally sold to under-18s.
  • Refillable vapes WON’T be banned
  • They will have to be displayed in non-appealing boxes, out of the way of children’s sight and there will be a consultation about which flavours will be banned. Most likely those that attract interest of children.

The government is hoping to pass this legislation by the next election, with it being fully implemented in 2025. It is supported by Labour leader Keir Starmer although he says it should have been done years ago. Vape companies are dismayed by the legislation arguing that an outright ban does not tackle the issue of shops selling underage people products. The fact that children may still be able to buy refillable vapes is still an issue.

Do you think the legislation will be effective ?

• The legislation is sufficient
  • The legislation is disproportional
  • The legislation hasn’t gone far enough
0 voters
6 Likes

although i have seen many tiktoks complaining about this, it is necessary considering how young people are starting to vape and the sweet ‘flavours’ like cotton candy are really attracting younger audiences

4 Likes

i really dont think its gonna work

Yeah I fear that too, I imagine sellers will continue to sell the refillable ones and it will be a long time before legislation comes into place

2 Likes

God bless

1 Like