Playing an instrument, singing may help preserve brain health

A recent study from the University of Exeter in the UK, based on data from the PROTECT study involving people aged 40 or older, reveals that playing an instrument or participating in choral singing throughout one’s adult life is linked to better cognitive health in later years.

The study suggests that individuals who play piano into adulthood may experience the greatest cognitive benefits, although playing woodwinds and brass instruments also show cognitive advantages. Additionally, singing in a choir is associated with cognitive health, but it’s unclear whether this is due to singing itself or the social aspect of participating in a choir. The research underscores the cognitive benefits of lifelong musical engagement and choral singing, contributing valuable insights into promoting cognitive health as people age.

4 Likes

wow! this is actually a really interesting study, I suppose I never thought much about it but now that i read this it does make sense that playing instruments or joining the choir has a positive impact on cognitive functioning and memory in elderly people as they are both activities that require certain brain areas to be active. I suppose it’d be also interesting to see if that’s similar to what happens with physical exercise.