Glasgow University students' anger over reintroduction of in-person exams

The University of Glasgow has faced criticism from students after announcing the sudden reintroduction of in-person exams for certain courses, particularly in Life Sciences. This decision contrasts with the online, open-book format introduced during the pandemic.

Key Points:

• Student Criticism:
    • Students express frustration over the short notice provided for the reintroduction of traditional closed-book, handwritten exams.
    • The change impacts Life Sciences exams for third and fourth-year students, causing anxiety and stress among the student body.
    • Lack of preparation time and uncertainty about the sudden shift to in-person exams have left students feeling unsupported and concerned about their academic performance.
  • Impact on Students:
    • Students like Rosie McCrone and Stacey Harris highlight concerns about adapting to the recall-based format of in-person exams after being accustomed to online assessments.
    • Anxiety is compounded by the inability to resit years and the abrupt nature of the change, with some students facing potential delays in graduation.
    • International students, such as Xiwang Yu, face additional challenges, including mental, physical, and financial stress, along with uncertainty about travel plans and accommodation.
  • University’s Rationale:
    • The University of Glasgow attributes the decision to concerns about the misuse of artificial intelligence (AI) tools in online exams, particularly in scientific disciplines.
    • They emphasize the importance of ensuring exam reliability for students, accrediting bodies, and future employers amidst advancements in AI technology.
    • Measures are claimed to be in place to support students during the transition, although students feel that more could be done to assist them.

Conclusion:

The University of Glasgow’s decision to revert to in-person exams in Life Sciences has sparked discontent among students due to the suddenness of the change, lack of preparation time, and concerns about the impact on academic performance and well-being. While the university cites AI-related concerns as the rationale behind the decision, students seek more support and transparency in navigating this transition.

4 Likes

Nah that shouldn’t have happened

2 Likes

Sounds like a sudden change. Especially with AI being the cause of it, as it sounds like there’s completely no trust between students and university staff

2 Likes

omg i feel for them, i dont know what i would do if my uni went back to in-person exams :smiling_face_with_tear:. The anxiety and stress must be overwhelming, especially with the lack of preparation time.

2 Likes

My University is debating making the same transition to more traditional forms of assessment. A nightmare for some, but with rising anxieties over students using AI, alongside the rising fail rates as students are caught using software unethically, it does make an interesting debate for sure

2 Likes