How can you calm yourself down if you panic during an exam?

I think we have all experienced immense panic during an exam at least once in our lives. However, it is quite normal as it is a very stressful experience and anyone can be prone to be depending on circumstances. However, he are some tips that have worked for me that may help calm yourself down if this happens:

1. Deep breathing: Take slow, deep breaths to activate your body’s relaxation response. Inhale deeply through your nose, hold for a few seconds, and exhale slowly through your mouth. Repeat this several times until you feel more relaxed.

2. Positive self-talk: Remind yourself that it’s normal to feel nervous during exams and that you’ve prepared as best as you could. Use affirmations such as “I am calm and focused” or “I can handle this” to boost your confidence.

3. Mindfulness and grounding techniques: Practice mindfulness techniques to bring your attention back to the present moment. Focus on your senses by noticing the sights, sounds, and sensations around you. Alternatively, use grounding techniques such as naming objects in the room or feeling the texture of your clothing to anchor yourself in the present.

4. Progressive muscle relaxation: Tense and relax each muscle group in your body to release tension and promote relaxation. Start with your toes and work your way up to your head, progressively tensing and relaxing each muscle group for a few seconds.

5. Visualisations: Imagine yourself succeeding and performing well on the exam. Picture yourself calmly answering questions and feeling confident in your abilities. Visualization can help reduce anxiety and boost self-confidence.

6. Use time management strategies: If you start feeling overwhelmed, take a moment to review the exam instructions and plan your approach. Allocate time for each section or question, and focus on answering what you can instead of dwelling on what you don’t know.

7. Take a brief break: If permitted, take a short break during the exam to step outside, stretch, or use the restroom. Taking a few moments to collect yourself can help you reset and refocus.

8. Stay hydrated and nourished: Drink water and eat a small snack before or during the exam to keep your energy levels stable. Avoid consuming too much caffeine or sugary foods, as they can exacerbate anxiety.

9. Focus on breathing techniques: Implement calming breathing exercises, such as the 4-7-8 technique, where you inhale for four counts, hold for seven counts, and exhale for eight counts. This can help regulate your nervous system and induce relaxation.

10. Seek help if needed: If you continue to struggle with exam anxiety and despite trying various coping strategies you are still feeling overwhelmed, consider reaching out to a teacher, counselor, or mental health professional for support and guidance. They can provide additional strategies and resources to help you manage anxiety during exams.

Remember that it’s okay to feel nervous, and experiencing some anxiety during exams is normal. Be kind to yourself and focus on doing the best you can with the resources and preparation you have.

5 Likes

Honestly, reading this made me so happy thinking that i didn’t have to sit through exams during university. They used to give me huge anxiety way back in high-school :upside_down_face:

1 Like

this is such an important post for those who hv panic attacks easily

2 Likes

breathing techniques have always helped me calm down during exams, theyre great

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these tips! :blush: Exam panic can definitely hit hard, so it’s great to have some strategies to calm down

2 Likes

You didn’t?? ■■■■ that is LUCKY :face_exhaling:

1 Like

English literature for the win! Only essays😂

1 Like