How to stay awake during a 24-hour exam

All 24-hour exams are definitely a nightmare. I personally had 4 during my second year of study (3 of which were in the same week btw) and it was quite challenging to stay awake in order to finish them. Could I have finished them in less than 24 hours? Probably yes. However, someone once told me that if you are given a set time, you should make use of all of it. And that’s what I did - call me crazy, but I stayed up for at least 23 hours for each of the exams. I am not sure whether universities still do 24-hour exams, but I thought that it would be useful to share some tips which helped me stay awake:

1. Get adequate sleep beforehand: Try to get a full night’s sleep before the exam to ensure you start off well-rested.

2. Take short breaks: Schedule short breaks throughout the exam to give your mind a chance to rest. Use these breaks to stretch, walk around, or have a quick snack to help maintain your energy levels.

3. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Dehydration can lead to fatigue and decreased alertness, so keep a water bottle handy and take sips regularly.

4. Eat balanced meals: Fuel your body with nutritious foods to sustain your energy levels throughout the exam. Opt for balanced meals and snacks that include complex carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats to provide long-lasting energy.

5. Avoid excessive caffeine: While caffeine can help increase alertness in moderation, consuming too much can lead to jitteriness and crashes later on. Limit your intake of caffeinated beverages and opt for alternatives like green tea or water when possible.

6. Stay active: Incorporate light physical activity into your breaks to help combat drowsiness and boost your energy. Simple exercises like stretching or going for a short walk can help stimulate circulation and increase alertness.

7. Use stimulating techniques: Engage your mind with stimulating techniques like deep breathing exercises, mindfulness meditation, or listening to energizing music during breaks to help maintain focus and concentration.

8. Stay engaged: Actively engage with the exam material to help keep your mind alert and focused. Take notes, ask questions, and actively participate in any interactive components of the exam.

9. Avoid distractions: Minimize distractions in your exam environment to help maintain concentration. Find a quiet, well-lit space where you can focus without interruptions.

10. Stay positive: Maintain a positive mindset throughout the exam and remind yourself of your capabilities. Stay confident in your preparation and trust in your ability to perform well.

4 Likes

24-hour exams are so intense, I can’t imagine staying up for almost an entire day to finish them. Your dedication is truly admirable wow

3 Likes

whaaat!! 24-hour exams sound like a real challenge! :scream: I can’t imagine staying up for almost a whole day to finish an exam, let alone having multiple in one week

3 Likes

Literally me next week bro thanks for the tips :joy:

2 Likes

Didn’t even know that these existed😧 As if normal exams aren’t stressful as they are🙄

2 Likes

Thank you!! But I bet you could stay up with the help of some coffee!!

2 Likes

I was exhausted afterwards but I can’t describe the exhilaration I felt after I had finished haha :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Good luck to you champ! :saluting_face: :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Right?? They have their perks though - quite a lot of time to write your stuff and really think about your tasks as you can imagine :sweat_smile: :rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

But is all the stress worth it tho? I’d rather be stressed just for about 3-4 hours than 24🤣