Perinatal depression: Study links condition with premenstrual disorders

A study conducted in Sweden suggests that women experiencing severe premenstrual symptoms, such as premenstrual syndrome (PMS) or premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), are more likely to suffer from depression during pregnancy or within a year after giving birth. The research, based on data from over 900,000 women, found that those with severe PMS or PMDD were five times more likely to experience perinatal depression. Conversely, women with perinatal depression were twice as likely to develop PMS or PMDD.

The study highlights the need for further research in this area and emphasizes the importance of informing patients about the risk of perinatal depression associated with premenstrual disorders during preconception care. The conditions can be treated with hormone drugs, antidepressants, or talking therapies. Dr. Paula Briggs, a reproductive health consultant, underscores the link between these conditions and stresses the need for increased awareness and support for affected women, particularly among midwives and health visitors.

1 Like

So, like, I’ve heard about PMS and stuff, but I had no idea it could be linked to depression during pregnancy. Did you know that women with severe PMS or PMDD are like five times more likely to suffer from perinatal depression? That’s crazy! It’s like this whole other layer of understanding our bodies, right? I wonder if there are any prevention strategies they could recommend or if there’s more research needed? It’s kinda scary to think about, but also important to know so we can support each other better.