Severe eczema like 'a thousand needles jabbing me'

Severe eczema not only causes intense physical symptoms like constant itching and raw, weeping skin but also has a significant psychological impact. Amie Wilson and Lois Thomas, who have both suffered from eczema for years, share their experiences of physical pain and social stigma, including bullying and isolation. The University of Hull is conducting research to explore the mental health challenges associated with chronic eczema, prompted by the experiences of Chloe North, whose undergraduate work highlighted the stigma and mental health struggles linked to the condition. The study aims to develop support programs for the millions affected by eczema in the UK, addressing the often-overlooked psychological aspects of the disease.

6 Likes

How do you think the findings from the University of Hull’s research on the mental health challenges associated with eczema could influence public perceptions and reduce stigma towards those living with the condition?

1 Like

The stories shared about living with severe eczema are so eye-opening. It’s really inspiring to see how people like Chloe North and Amie Wilson have managed their condition while dealing with the psychological impact too.

2 Likes

It’s heartbreaking to hear about the severe impact eczema can have, both physically and psychologically. Amie Wilson and Lois Thomas’s experiences shed light on the depth of suffering beyond the visible symptoms, including the emotional toll and social stigma they’ve faced. The research at the University of Hull sounds like a crucial step towards addressing these often-overlooked aspects of chronic eczema. By exploring the mental health challenges linked to the condition, they’re not only validating the experiences of those affected but also working towards developing much-needed support programs. It’s encouraging to see efforts that aim to improve both the physical and emotional well-being of people with eczema, offering hope for better management and understanding of this challenging condition.

2 Likes

It is sad to hear her story. This article really reminds me that in one of my courses, we were discussing regarding whether people with eczema can be ‘labeled’ as having disability. We don’t really get a consistent answer in that seminar class, I’m wondering how do you think about that? :thinking:

2 Likes