When suicide was illegal

The discovery of Lionel Henry Churchill, with a bullet wound beside his wife’s decomposed body, likely reflects an overwhelming emotional ordeal.

Despite professional advice for mental health treatment, he ended up with a six-month prison sentence for his suicide attempt.

Thomas McCarthy’s case is similarly troubling: he received a week in prison for consuming a harmful substance on the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral.

Lieutenant-Commander Geoffrey Walker’s experience adds to this narrative; he was fined £25 for attempting suicide with a revolver found on Dunkirk’s beach.

But why in the name of God were people punished for trying to take their own lives? Was the mental burden not severe enough?

The article below provides a history on why suicide was illegal half a decade ago and when it was finally changed. Have fun reading this!

7 Likes

It’s mad to see how the law was handled in the last generation and how much it has adapted

2 Likes

Indeed! Imagine facing prison for struggling with depression and losing the battle with your own mind.

1 Like

heartening to see how far our society has come in terms of dealing with mental health issues

2 Likes

I was still under the impression that it was illegal!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I’ve never heard about this! Am interesting yet grim read to be honest, but still!

2 Likes

It’s interesting how perception of certain situations changes over time.

3 Likes

True! Very nice to see that the legal system does not neglect mental health as much as it used to (even though it may still do to a certain extent now).

1 Like

It would have been insane…looking at the statistics, thousands would have gone to jail…

2 Likes

At least now you know! It is indeed grim, but the legal system has evolved quite a bit at least in this sense.

2 Likes

True, imagine having been stuck with this kind of perceptions in the modern era…protests would have been mad

3 Likes

It’s truly disheartening to see individuals facing punishment for attempting to cope with their mental health struggles.

3 Likes

Imagine what staying in prison did to their mental health…

This is a fascinating piece of history that I wasn’t aware of. It’s surprising how societal perspectives on mental health and suicide have evolved over time.

1 Like