Finding Accommodation

Hi everyone

I thought it would be useful to create a thread dedicated to how to find accommodation as a student. As an international student, I really struggled with this after my first year of study (during which I stayed in halls which were not the best tbh). Any tips and websites would be really helpful!

Thank you!!

8 Likes

iQ has private halls in over 70 locations across 29 UK towns and cities including Bangor, Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Brighton, Bristol, Coventry, Dundee, Edinburgh, Egham, Glasgow, Huddersfield, Kingston, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, Plymouth, Preston, Salford, Sheffield, Wolverhampton, and York :smile:

2 Likes

I rented with https://www.collegiate-ac.com/ a lot, and they offer student accomodation in most of the big cities in the UK. They’re always helpful, booking are fast, and they’re more than happy to offer flexible dates!

I joined Facebook groups focused on university student accommodation and city living. In these groups, students post about searching for housemates. They share details such as pictures of the house, available rooms, and more. You just have to dm them!

2 Likes

I struggled with finding accommodation in my first year as I left it too late (my best advice would be to find and book accommodation as soon as possible). Accommodation on websites said they were all sold out however, when I called up there were often rooms and places available so I do recommend human contact in the process.

2 Likes

Here are some tips I’ve come up with :slight_smile:

1. Start early (popular options tend to fill up quickly!)
  2. Use student housing services - most unis offer dedicated housing services for students I think
  3. Explore online platforms
  4. Consider shared accommodation
  5. Join student forums and groups; people are always looking for someone to fill a spare room in a house where one of their friends has dropped out. I was one of those people frantically looking for someone to fill a room in our house this year!
2 Likes

Great tips indeed!

1 Like

I have come across this website before - great source!

Never heard of this one before, great stuff!!

1 Like

I have tried facebook before, but it is honestly so full of scammers and fake accounts that I eventually gave up :sweat: :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

That is very true - finding accommodation i advance is definitely one of the best pieces of advice that one can give, especially considering how many students come to study in London. I honestly believe there are less available places than there are students, so individuals are often forced to live in Zones 4-5 or even outside of the city :sweat: :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

Great tips! Especially the last one is relevant as many students do not have friends that study in London so they look for flatmates to fill an apartment!

1 Like

oh so weird, ive never had that experience! hope you find good reliable accommodation websites!

1 Like